home | forum | events | news | gallery | weather | locations

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Soap Box Rants
 Northumbrian Windsurfing Club : Soap Box Rants
Subject Topic: kitesurfing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stevecarragher
Full Time Beach Bum

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 March 2005 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote stevecarragher

What do we really think about kitesurfing? Would we welcome kiters to sail the same beaches. Would you pull them out of the North Sea? The doldrums are messing with my mind, can you tell i'm bored. More beer required!
Back to Top View stevecarragher's Profile Search for other posts by stevecarragher

Ross
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 25 March 2005 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Ross

Steve, it's funny you should say that. . . I posted a message on a UK kitesurfing forum and started a very good debate with some kiters that are ex-windsurfers on the pros and cons of each, including the whole looking cool thing.

Go to this location:
http://212.67.202.47/~tonyshep/newforum/viewtopic.php?t=2375 &start;=0&postdays;=0&postorder;=asc&highlight;=

It's actually quite interesting and it's a much more healthy discussion that what I was expecting - they seem like decent guys looking for an adrenaline hit on the sea the same way we are. They mostly admitted the drawbacks that I proposed and all basically had great respect for windsurfers.

So my view of them is fairly positive, as long as they don't start overcrowding our beaches or something, which is unlikely.   
Back to Top View Ross's Profile Search for other posts by Ross

Andy Freeman
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 25 March 2005 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Andy Freeman

There a real hassle at some of the southern beaches.

On a bad day in Weymouth there could be 40 or more on a beach about as long as Boatramp to Boardwalk. Wind offshore so they make it impossible to get back to shore.

Kites crashing down all over the place. Not much fun.

Still plenty of beach up here for all.

steve boyd
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 25 March 2005 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote steve boyd

Most of the lads into kiting up here came from windsurfing and there are exactly the same as us - we are all after a fix. The problem with kiting is it really works better in light cross on conditions where the wind is usually cleaner. Where we sail is mostly still gusty winds off the land and would not be ideal. Most of the kite guys travel to find better conditions. I think overcrowding will not be a problem where we sail.
Back to Top View steve boyd's Profile Search for other posts by steve boyd

stevecarragher
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 27 March 2005 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote stevecarragher

Yep, I thought the same really. All the kitesurfers I have met have been descent enough. I am tempted to kitesurf on lightwind days but then as Steve says, Westerlies are offshore and gusty. Anyway, you still need some wind to kitesurf, admitedly less than you do to windsurf but I still would not have had a fix for weeks either way. Anyway, buying more kit would surely end up in a quick divorce! So, thoughts of wearing shorts over the wetsuit have been put firmly to bed!
What we need is a good dose of wind!
Back to Top View stevecarragher's Profile Search for other posts by stevecarragher

Tim
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 28 March 2005 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Tim

The kiters in WA had the whole of Sept, Nov and Dec kiting pretty much everyday whereas the windsurfers hardly had any days...  They were all having a great time until Phil came and we had some proper wind and then they were all bitchin and whining that was too strong.  Then Feb, March was all theirs again.  I was tempted purely on the fact that they got out about 800% more than us.  They were all pretty nice folk - same attitude as us.  The only times it got messy is when waves come into it - then it's definitely not working as mixed.  Especially when we're all queing for the same 100m break.  Kiters can come out and jump over the break thus making them up wind and have right of way for the wave.  Also they take up too much room in waves and a crashed kite in the break takes about 10m to clear pissing everyone off.  As kiters are getting better and more into waves I could see this being a problem but only in places like Margs, Lancelin etc.  As for the NE I think there is plenty of room for both.  I've seen both being rescued by each other too - including Karin Jaggi's boyfriend (windsurfer) being pulled out of margs' main break by a kiter.  She looked rather embarrassed...

It looks pretty easy as well.  I saw a guy come on from zero to triple back loops in 3 months.  Admittedly most days but a couple weeks holiday and you'd be jumping and spinning.

As for me by the way, looks like I'll be in Melbourne for a while.  Going in to discuss terms of contract for a job here and then going out to buy a fleestyle board straight away!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version