home | forum | events | news | gallery | weather | locations

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General
 Northumbrian Windsurfing Club : General
Subject Topic: Whatíve you been up to? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ross
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29†January†2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Ross

Following on from Brian's thread, I was just wondering what you folks have been up to during this long wind drought.

I don't mean what DIY but more what windsurfing substitutes. I think there's been a fair bit of cycling and MTB'ing going on.

Me, I've been going to the gym four times a week for the last two months. I'm not a gym type to be honest but it's becoming harder for me to get the time to go swimming at lunchtime so it's a case of needs must.

In the process of becoming pretty fit again I've managed to lose half a stone in weight so I'm back to my fighting weight (11st7lb/72kg) and fit and ready for the next sailing session!

Those concept rowing machines are a good challenge and there's plenty of weight training that is quite windsurfing-specific. I guess I'll find out how effective it is when I get back on the water.    
Back to Top View Ross's Profile Search for other posts by Ross

steve boyd
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 29†January†2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote steve boyd

Yes, i have been enduring the gym twice a week since the new year and feel a lot better for it. I swear by the rowing machines to keep the windsurfing fitness up, no other sport comes close for cardiovascular, muscular and endurance workout all in one allied to windsurfing specific muscle groups.

Mind you before i went to the gym i was only 85kgs(F4's were still crap) then went up to 110kgs(4.0m days were excellent!) after a few years but struggle to get below 95kgs and hover just below 100kgs now a days. so be careful lifting weights in the gym- you may end being like me- the perfect athlete.

Back to Top View steve boyd's Profile Search for other posts by steve boyd

Jon B
Grommet

Posted: 29†January†2006 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Jon B

Fishing!!  Yes, packed the windsurfing kit in the garage at the end of Oct and have spent the following months hunting the elusive (and you thought the wind was scarce) cod up and down the beautiful north east coast.  Excuse the pun, but I'm now firmly hooked!!!  I only got the fishing gear as a possible fall back option following another frustrating windsurfing trip to D'bay when the wind never quite got up (it was cheaper than my other thought - a canoe!!).

As a rule I generally catch bugger all but have really enjoyed the long walks, stunning new venues, extreme weather - the list goes on.

Will ensure the rod is carried at all times when the I dust the board down in the spring.....just in case.

JB

Back to Top View Jon B's Profile Search for other posts by Jon B

gillstah
Grommet

Posted: 30†January†2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote gillstah

OOI, what sort of times/work levels are you doing on the rowing machines?

paul.
Back to Top View gillstah's Profile Search for other posts by gillstah

Tim
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 30†January†2006 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Tim

I went to the gym for the first time at the weekend.  Hate the places!  I'm cycling 40 mins each way to work everyday which seems to keep me reasonably fit....

Back to Top View Tim's Profile Search for other posts by Tim

Gavin Duthie
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 30†January†2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Gavin Duthie

Mountain biking and swimmimg, tried gyms over the years and HATE them, but somehow I think due to increasing age related indolence, soon I will have to learn to love them.

What about a bi-monthly club workout / circuit train where we all chip in for a personal trainer to give us specific windsurfing excercises, and then continue on solo for the other thwo weeks. A couple of biker friends of mine do this.

steve boyd
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 30†January†2006 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote steve boyd

On the rowing m/c i tend to vary. Always on a high level(10) for 20-25 minutes, but tend to concentrate on technique and do about 4 to 5km. 

The personal trainer/circuit training is a good idea in theory (practise may be more difficult), perhaps follow it with a tap and spile session for extra incentive?

John C
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 31†January†2006 at 1:19am | IP Logged Quote John C

Currently into MTBing and loving it. High speed decents through narrow wooded trails are a real buz but still not even close to a good wave sailing sesh. Did my first night ride last week and out again tomorrow. Nice to just get on the bike and ride. No lengthy pondering sail size, waiting for wind to fill in, tide to go out, etc.

Hate gyms, have used free weights in the past and found very benifical though.

Gavin,
Are the MTB Reivers ridding this weekend? Will be up Saturday.

Gavin Duthie
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 31†January†2006 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Gavin Duthie

John - Ride for Sunday is on. The route is from Bowes, Co Durham to Tan Hill and back. The plan is to meet up at Scotch Corner services at 10.00am. I'm not sure if I can make it, but if I don't go, it would be best to phone the group leader Dave Howcroft on (01670) 511 687.

Tim
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 31†January†2006 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Tim

Started snowboarding recently and going to France in March.  Was fairly easy to pick up, but just doesn't have quite the same rush that sailing gives - I think it's because it's so hard to sail well in waves whereas jumping a snowboard is easy.  Water is down to 2 degs here and snow everywhere so I'm told I have about 2 months before we'll be sailing again here...
Back to Top View Tim's Profile Search for other posts by Tim

Brian Day
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 31†January†2006 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Brian Day

We all know what those at the gym are doing!!!!! Probably not much good for the muscles, but the view in the mirror is what Steve always talked about!

Went out on the bike yesterday and had ice forming on the chest and helmet..I'll have to move it away from the freezer I suppose. Trouble is, skinny tyres and slippy roads make for adrenalin filled moments, no need for night rides and narrow tree lined tracks.

Just got back from the hospital, where they have finally decided what's wrong with my knee! The quad tendon has pulled away from the patella, complete with a piece of bone, the cruciate ligament is 'nicked' and there is damage to the cartilage behind the patella. I'm now waiting for a cat scan appointment and an intrusive camera,,,,,but they doubt that they can do much.....should be bearable in about a year, if I leave off all the sports.........now that's likely isn't it???

Oh well, it could be the mirrors! and lots of upper body work

steve boyd
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 31†January†2006 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote steve boyd

what sort of bloke do you think i am? the same as all the rest? guilty as charged. 

I cant train with my eyes closed now can i?

sorry to hear about your knee brian .general wear and tear or a bad crash?

swimming could be ok with a leg bouyancy support and front crawl only.

and drinking beer! a new sport to master!

Brian Day
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 01†February†2006 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Brian Day

A bit of both, though not a bad crash....more the miss timed landing!

I'll give the beer drinking a go....I'm not very good at that, so rapid improvement should be noticeable.

What did you mean in the private message...."If you try swimming you'll have to wear goggles to improve the posture?"

PaulB
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 01†February†2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote PaulB

Sorry to hear about the lack of wind that side of the pond. It was windy here last night for the first time in about a month. Way to cold to even think about sailing though. Like tim I've been snowboarding lots. Like he said it is very easy to learn. Condition at our local hill are the best in Canada at the moment with almost a metre of fresh snow in two weeks! Riding through the trees in a metre of powder is almost as good as sailing. See you all soon.

Paul

steve boyd
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 02†February†2006 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote steve boyd

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version