home | forum | events | gallery | weather | locations

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General
 Northumbrian Windsurfing Club : General
Subject Topic: is anyone getting any? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stevecarragher
Full Time Beach Bum

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 June 2009 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote stevecarragher

Windsurfing that is.
I am totally starved of windsurfing.
Need to get out before I do an Ali M an sell all my kit!
Before long we'll all start whining and whinging on here! Doh!
Back to Top View stevecarragher's Profile Search for other posts by stevecarragher

steve boyd
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 26 June 2009 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote steve boyd

well being out of work(got some work again now!) for a while i have had a bit opportunity and it has been poor on the east coast again. derwent has had a few good days, the west coast has. I have not had any classic days but one or two excellent ones at spot x on the  west, 4.2m and 4.7m and MOB just last week on 5.7 (but should been on 5.3m) (flat though) wind out to the west, down south, up north at edinburgh, inland at derwent but crap on the east coast. east coast for me has been very gusty up and down on/off 5.7m but the west has been 4.2-5.7 and always good to excellent.

interestingly if you look on windfinder they have statistics of the last ten years, and the windiest spot close by is the west coast.

myself and terry even went to allonby earlier in the year, a long run of easterlies produced no wind here, awful sea state, went for a cross off flat water blast with 4.5-4.7 desperation but it was sunny , good and the weather was awful here.

if the forecast is poor, if you have one day off and can get away try spot x on the west steve, you would love it. any s-sw is garanteed short board sailing over there. similar to mob but with two bays, beach break, flat water and a few different off shore reef breaks, always with a strong wind the sailing is terrific. as good or better than mob and garanteed.

the statistics on windfinder just show that they have about 50% more wind than us and it is always sailable with a wave board .

i know the travelling is a bind, but for garanteed sailing, it beats that frustrated is it windy yet? is anyone out?  just go, there are some locals there who sail all the time, high standard and good crack.

I hate the thought of having to travel to far to sail and would love it on my doorstep - ideally. reality- life is not simple and the harder you have to work at finding the honey or tha amber nectar, more often the sweeter the rewards.

unfortunately it is never simple but do not sell your gear, it may be better tomorrow and be great locally. it has been bad here this year, but the west has been better as it often is. 

even today here it is raining, misty, light wind and the west has 22 degrees and sunshine and a 20-28 knot wind.

Back to Top View steve boyd's Profile Search for other posts by steve boyd

stevecarragher
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 26 June 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote stevecarragher

Ha- Steve- my tongue was very firmly in cheek!
I have no intention of selling any kit! I will take it to the grave!!! Including my 1980's lodey wave, unless someone will give me some money for it! One day I'll head west but probably not for a while!
Back to Top View stevecarragher's Profile Search for other posts by stevecarragher

Gavin Duthie
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 26 June 2009 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Gavin Duthie

Steve C - Not complicated, just stay put, no need to pound the tarmac, .... 3 simple remidies. Get some BIG kit, get a proper mountain bike and finaly and possibly get a kite ( ) ... oh and one more, learn to say NO to families and work, and just take a few more half days.

In an ideal world without work and family duties, we as single men (with loads of moolah) would all be expert sailors, but get real, unfortuately you and I have plenty of "duties" and can not swan out west for 10hrs and expect to come back to the loving arms of work, wives and kids.

Compromise and live.

matthew
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote matthew

Good post Steve B,

I have had some truly epic days out on the east coast at times but i have to say this year they have been few , possibly just me not being able to get out at the right time but often the wind has not been a weekender. Often the wind has been westerly and i for one prefer derwent and a good blast if its westerly, opting to stay pond side.

I have been considering pounding the tarmac for just a couple of days away as a mini break, perhpas camping or sleeping in the van. Its supportive to te club etc to stay locally but very much worth the trip if the conditions perform away from home.  We perhaps need to be a little less parochial at  times to make the most of it.  However Gavin too has a good point, if the conditions dont exist then you can opt for the bike, kite or SUP.  Personally i have enough to do at home and biking is not my second choice, i prefer the wet stuff and whilst the kiting has been frustrating for me, certainly surfing or SUP would appeal. 

We are all different, lets keep the banter going, theres always more when the weathers cr#p.    

Back to Top View matthew's Profile Search for other posts by matthew

tdmain
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 28 June 2009 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote tdmain

sailing winds in the forth have been pretty regular, i would put it at average twice a week. problem is that it's not always at weekends.

last week there were e winds, sailing at silverknowes, 4.7m then 5.9m for me. several guys came down after work, the wind persisted until dark after 9pm.

the previous week w winds at longniddry and gullane. i was abroad on hols, but my son rob 70kg sailed with 4.5m both days.

dave m

Gavin Duthie
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Gavin Duthie

tdmain wrote:

sailing winds in the forth have been pretty regular, i would put it at average twice a week. P]

dave m

... Dave are you retired now ?

tdmain
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote tdmain

I have now been retired for 9 years!

myself and other retirees try to take advantage of all winds 14kts and above, the only wind direction we can't sail this side of the Forth is SE.

My son Rob and I now have 7 Gaastra Manics from 3.7M up to 5.3M , I have just invested in a quiver of Amex Pro100 skinnies.

I still have 2 sails up for sale, Manic 4m 2005 £75ono and Goya Wave 3D 4.7m 2008 £175ono.

Dave M

tdmain
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote tdmain

I just checked Windfinder stats, this shows Edinburgh Airport F4 or more 37% over a number of years, predominantly SW. This works out at an average of 2.59 days a week.

Dave M 

Gavin Duthie
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Gavin Duthie

Eplains why you get so much sailing ... us real world inhabitants (over 80kg's ) with kids, mortgages, bosses and business's to run can only but dream.

You must feel you've got it all sorted.

juniormcblend
Grommet

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote juniormcblend

It hasn't been a classic spring but we definately had some wind at spot x. That run of sw lows that came through at the time of the Ireland event saw some great action and all the locals were in attendance on bank holiday and mid week. I was a bit over exuberant and crashed out on a loop, landing on my kit and cracking a rib on the first day. I was off the water after that while all the rest of the wind blew through that week. Have since got back and sailed once there a couple of thurs ago. Looks as though we are back in the doldrums again. Might get a sup, my mountain bike is away getting fixed. Anyone done supping? Do they make good begginer boards (the ones you can put sails on?)
Back to Top View juniormcblend's Profile Search for other posts by juniormcblend

Andy B
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Andy B

I like others have had little sailing of recent weeks I work shifts so am available most days. Therefore weekend sailors must be deep in depression. Last year a similar doldrum settled over the North East and my head got turned. I took up the kiting for a light wind alternative and have really enjoyed it. It has proven much easier to pick up than windsurfing and you see rapid improvements.

It will however never replace the wind surfing, in stronger winds I would windsurf every time, there is more of a rush when you battling along at warp factor 9, a greater sensation of speed than when kiting 

Its still not the answer for days like these. So I took up surfing last year for the windless days, but there's been no surf for the last 3 weeks. What next??

Seriously considering giving supping a bash perhaps take a lesson anything to  get wet.

A bit of bloody wind is all we want, cabin fever is setting in.

Nicolas
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 30 June 2009 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Nicolas

So poor that I have not sailed this year yet. Last time was during Christmas holiday in France, 7months ago.

I have now passed the frustration and depression stages as I am not even bothered anymore. Windsurfing does not longer seem to be a hobie.

The sun is shining this year though as opposed to the last 2 so can not complain.

Just keep the tablets !

Gavin Duthie
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 30 June 2009 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote Gavin Duthie

.... miserable bar stewards ...mines is half full.

Had some excellent BIGGER kit blasts this year, so far.

steve boyd
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 02 July 2009 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote steve boyd

i knew it duffy has always been a closet big boarder!

and he has to have an awfully big closet for that board.

Back to Top View steve boyd's Profile Search for other posts by steve boyd

Andy Freeman
Admin Group

Posted: 02 July 2009 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Andy Freeman

Looks like Im in with Duthie till the wind comes back.....

johnmc
Dude

Posted: 02 July 2009 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote johnmc

New Mask (spelling?) has been getting steady sea breezes for the last couple of weeks. If its sunny and warm we are getting around 20 knt easterlies which is cross sure from the right. Generally get a little wind blown swell too. It blew till about half eight this evening. 5.7 and 94 was fine.

I know its a bit of a drive for you boys bt could be worth it.

Back to Top View johnmc's Profile Search for other posts by johnmc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version