home | forum | events | gallery | weather | locations

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Sales and Wanted
 Northumbrian Windsurfing Club : Sales and Wanted
Subject Topic: Toying with the idea Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
richie
Grommet

Online Status: Online
Posted: 16 August 2011 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote richie

Forecast has potential for the west coast this weekend, so that might
be a good option. However Tiree looks pretty windy so I'm Toying with
the idea of heading up there for a long weekend. Looking at catching
the Friday morning ferry, having 4 days sailing, then getting the
Monday afternoon ferry back. Obviously such a trip will only be taken
on the strength of a solid forecast.

Just wondered if anyone would be interested in the trip?
Back to Top View richie's Profile Search for other posts by richie

richie
Grommet

Posted: 17 August 2011 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote richie

Might be difficult to justify the trip to Tiree now as it looks like it will
only reap 2 days of sailing (good sailing though). Gatehouse looking
ok and could score 2 session there based on the current forecast.

steve boyd
Full Time Beach Bum

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 August 2011 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote steve boyd

friday/saturday may still get something (possibly west), friday only for me keeping an eye on it. tides not to bad. it aint over till its over.
Back to Top View steve boyd's Profile Search for other posts by steve boyd

richie
Grommet

Posted: 17 August 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote richie

Yeah, if the West Freugh / Isle of Man forecast turns out to be what we get then Friday evening should be the schnizzle. Might get a bit of a funnel effect on Saturday also that could raise it a couple of knots. 

If the Dundrennan forecast is closer to the mark then it'll be big kit cruising.  If the wind doesn't come, at least the lake will be glassy flat for wakeboarding.  The mountains will probably still be there too, so I'll bust out the peddle weapon!

Looking like Tiree is definately out as Sunday and Monday now look a bit marginal and it's just not worth it. 

Still time for it all to change, so I'll make my final decision tomorrow.

richie
Grommet

Posted: 18 August 2011 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote richie

Looks like SW Scotland has it.  Reasonably confident of a decent session tomorrow and I reckon I'm way over due a favour from the wind gods so hopefully there will be a bit on Saturday too.  Fingers crossed eh.

If anyone fancies the trip over, giz a shout.

richie
Grommet

Posted: 21 August 2011 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote richie

Got a double dip at the weekend.  Friday evening was brilliant.  Started out on my 5m and freestyle board and had an hour of crackin flat water fun. I haven't used my freestyle board in anger in ages I had forgotten what a sweet board it is.  As the tide turned the waves started to get bigger so I changed down to my 85L FSW and enjoyed another couple of hours of bump and jump.

Saturday was less windy but stll got out with my 5.7m and got planing enough to go for some moves.  After a while I got a bit bored (tired) with pumping on to the plane so I rigged my big sail and spent a pleasant hour or so cruising.

Not much wind today so it was golf and wakeboarding.  Just as well really as I'm feeling it a bit due to a lack of windsurfing fitness.  So nice to get back on the water - just want more now!

steve boyd
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 22 August 2011 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote steve boyd

that is where windsurfing really starts for me, 5.7m is still good if well powered but just a smidge more and 5.2/5.0m (perfect size) starts working well. on the west that realiable steadier wind that gets funnelled thru the irish sea is great fun,  you can forget how good it can be, milder temperatures as the sea is warmer, i could not stop the last wednesday when i was last out, just had to drink every last drop of it. and we wonder why people pack in to go and live in sunny climes with relaible 5.0m/5.2m weather......that abroad perfection comes at a price, but to get almost on the doorstep and not use it is criminal, i plead guilty got a work contract to start last friday, or i would have been back over myself. good F6 is perfect.   

richie
Grommet

Posted: 23 August 2011 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote richie

Yep, it was definitely worth the trip for friday's session. Saturday was a
bonus.
I've learnt from my first year back up north that you have to put in
some milage if you want to get a decent amount of quality water time
under yer belt.

steve boyd
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 23 August 2011 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote steve boyd

that is exactly it, if you are going to bother sometimes it worthwhile going the extra mile. quality right on the doorstep does not happen, you have to travel for the best of it. from newcastle you have a good base for the north east, one hour to redcar(though never sailed there for a while), budle bamburgh one hour north (probably why) dbay half an hour away, derwent reservoir half an hour away, allonby one and three quarter hours, workington about two hours max, gatehouse of fleet about 2 - 2 1/2 hours(usually just hit allonby or workington for convenience day pass only). gullane atleast two hours away (never been yet).

. a good northerly or southerly is good on our coast but a 5.0m s-sw on the west(and the normal regularity of it just has the edge for me, it just seems to do exactly what it will say on the tin. the lads on the west have to travel but it is in the knowledge that it will be 90% wave board sailing. only a lucky few live right close by. there are other beaches but not the best for sailing.

the west advantage is the strength is stronger and the reliability of a good blow. the funneling effect between southern scotland hills and the cumbrian hills certainly helps and they can sail many other directions at points, even a SE at st.bees can be good. even on a light or marginal forecast the west has blown stronger than forecast (sometimes bad directions but somewhere could be found) on balance even though theyhave not had a run of SSW-SW there have been a lot of SE-S and WNW.

a few years back there was a n awful run of easterlies, light F2-3 onshore on our coast but cross offshore F5-F8 on the west. myself and terry went over and sailed on 4.5m and 4.7m in sunshine. sometimes it can be cloudy, but it is windy but most days have sun and sometimes you leave the rain and cloud on the hills and hit brilliant sunshine at the coast.

not one to be dismissed lightly as on average i bet there are more days sailable  F5 upwards than here per year. 5.0m on the west  is more fun sailing(stable and there all day) and easy fun waves than the gusty days that we can get here. even if you only make one day, do it, natural opportunies missed cannot be bought back.

David D.
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 23 August 2011 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote David D.

This is the Sales and Wanted section of the forum isn't???

steve boyd
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 23 August 2011 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote steve boyd

correct what we are "selling" is the best place to go sailing and what is "wanted" is more wind.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version