home | forum | events | gallery | weather | locations

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Sailing Plans
 Northumbrian Windsurfing Club : Sailing Plans
Subject Topic: Windsurfing 4 Cancer Research 2010 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martin H
Full Time Beach Bum

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 March 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote Martin H

Windsurfing 4 Cancer Research this year will be held on Sunday 2nd May 2010 to mark the start of National Windsurfing Week.

for full details please visit the official website as this has all the charity and registration information.

The days events are open to all wind and muscle powered watersports and you are invited to create your own challenge to raise sponsorship for W4CR who last year exceeded their £25,000 target and this year hope to raise £50,000. Given our late involvement last year I'm sure we can help them on their way to this new target.

Registration on the W4CR website is encouraged and we hope to host the 2010 event at Boulmer Haven, last year we had windsurfing, canoeing and SUP's but as again any wind/water/muscle sport enthusiast can get involved and raise funds to benefit many Cancer related charities, please see their website to see how last years funds were put to good use.

Official merchandise can be purchased here and stickers/streamers will be issued to registered participants.

I have agreed to be venue co-ordinator at Boulmer and hope to see many of you at the Haven for fun, fundraising and cakes!

Please feel free to register your interest and for more information visit the W4CR website or their group on Facebook.

Back to Top View Martin H's Profile Search for other posts by Martin H

Gavin Duthie
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Gavin Duthie

Good on you Martin, I'll be there with readies in hand, might even windsurf if I can remember how.

Martin H
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Martin H

We have already matched last years registered participants (2) and Mad Mike will be doing so shortly, increasing our registration this year by 50%, great news!

It would be good to gain Bronze staus for the venue but for that we would need 5 registered participants from any eligable sport???????????

I've stuck my free sail sticker on the back of my van to help promote the event so will need to buy some more for my sails on the day, only £2 each from the W4CR website.

Tides on the 2nd May look to be High at Sunrise and Low just after Midday so that would make for a great afternoon at the Haven, unless there are any takers to register for a Sunrise Sail??????

If you can't join the Northumbrian Windsurfing Club at Boulmer on the 2nd then you may like to visit Derwent Reservoir Sailing Club, they are also hosts as a venue for W4CR on that day and raising funds for the charity.

If you would like more information or are able to display a poster advertising the Boulmer event then please feel free to contact me via a PM

Martin H
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote Martin H

At last years event at sunrise (5:20) there was a yacht circling beyond the reef (see photos 12 & 13 in the gallery) with a light atop the mast.

Does anyone know who this was?

or just a passing ship looking to anchor?

It was there for a good while but had gone by the time we had the canoes out at the reef.

All vessels welcome at Boulmer Haven, May 2nd.

Rob Hames
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Hames

Martin,

I will be there as early as I can but it probably won't be until the afternoon as I am at a wedding the day before.  I am on nights from 7pm though so wont be able to hang around until the end I'm afraid. Its been so long since I have been able to sail that having lots of people/rescuers there would be a bonus.  I have completed half the registration on the W4CR website but am at work so can't access my hotmail to complete it until tomorrow. See you there.

Rob

Back to Top View Rob Hames's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Hames

Martin H
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Martin H

Excellent news Rob,

unless you've been through the 'registration' process you feel a little daunted by it,

all they ask is for you to try and predict how much you can realistically raise in sponsorship or 'pledge' to the charity, any amount is much appreciated!

As for the day of the 2nd, I will be there from sunrise, with hopefully most people dropping by at some point in the afternoon.

Thanks Rob that means we are well on the way to achieve Bronze status.

Rob Hames
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Hames

I will be there as early as possible.  I will have a word with a mate from 202 Sqn to see if he is able to do a fly by at some point during the day. Good for the kids if there are some there.
Back to Top View Rob Hames's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Hames

Andy Freeman
Admin Group

Posted: 22 March 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Andy Freeman

I will be up for doing something. Not sure what I can do yet but I am sure something will turn up.

Martin H
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 19 April 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Martin H

15 April 2021

Dear Martin Haigh,

Sunrise Sunset 2010 - Newsletter 5

Just over two weeks to go now - Over 200 participants confirmed to take part who between them expect to raise more than £15,000. We need more participants - Please forward this email to as many interested people as possible.

Read David's latest Blog and then if you haven't already done so visit www.w4cr.org and register NOW to take part in this fun event on 2nd May and raise money for cancer research, education and support.

£50,000
Help us reach the target of £50,000 - donate or get sponsored via a W4CR online JustGiving page or paper form and raise money. Details on how to set up a JustGiving page are here. If you need more paper sponsorship forms the file is available in the members area on the site for you to print more. Login and then visit Members>Information for Members

You don't have to sail all day, just get on the water have fun and raise money to help beat cancer. Many venues are offering tuition on the day so you don't even have to be a windsurfer! Your challenge could be to try the sport.

Event T Shirts and Sail Stickers

Are available for immediate despatch - great design, support the charity get yours now, login to the site to get the members price! Buy here

Did you choose a venue?

If you have registered on the site please make sure that you have also registered at one of the venues. Simply login to the site navigate Sunrise Sunset>Venue registration, choose the venue at which you wish to sail and then click 'register' and 'confirm'. Then we can send you your stickers and sponsorship forms and make sure that your venue receives sufficient streamers and material for the event.

Many thanks for your continued support,
The W4CR teamherewww.w4cr.orghereherehere

Martin H
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 19 April 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Martin H

We now have 3 registered sailors for Boulmer on the 2nd and have reached in excess of £250 pledged by those 3, we have achieved Bronze status for the pledges but need 2 more registered sailors to gain full Bronze status for the venue.

I have been asked to place an order for anyone wishing to buy stickers/tee shirts/Musto W4CR caps, if you want to buy any I can order them and have them for you at the beach on the 2nd. Please see their website for details of what's available.

I know some of you have already indicated you will be in attendance and I have put a few posters/notices in places where they could generate non NWC interest, so weather permitting we can have as good a day as last year,

if not better!

More details to follow

matthew
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 19 April 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote matthew

Sorry i am not at Boulmer for this to help support you all but will be doing my bit at Derwent in case anybody else is looking for a venue and buddy's to sail with.
Back to Top View matthew's Profile Search for other posts by matthew

Martin H
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 19 April 2010 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote Martin H

Hi Matt,

Derwent look to be having a good day on the
2nd May, all for the same great cause,
Windsurfers together for W4CR.
Well done to Linda for organising the venue there.

Still hoping for Bronze at Boulmer :-)

Peter Amos
Admin Group

Posted: 25 April 2010 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Amos

Martin
I cannot make it on the day. Can I sponsor you? If so how?

Nikki
Grommet

Posted: 25 April 2010 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote Nikki

Hi Martin, we're definately coming up on the day. Will have the kids so don't know if we'll sail but will bring the purse anyway! Looking forward to it!
Back to Top View Nikki's Profile Search for other posts by Nikki

Nikki
Grommet

Posted: 25 April 2010 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote Nikki

ps. is there somewhere to camp near by?
Back to Top View Nikki's Profile Search for other posts by Nikki

Martin H
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 25 April 2010 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Martin H

Peter,
I will be setting up a JustGiving site as there have been many such questions even from an expat Boulmer Seal now residing in New Zealand.

Nikki,
there are a few official campsites, at Proctors Stead nr Craster and one nr Embleton, also at the rugby field at Alnwick. We will be unofficially camping at Boulmer itself, to be on the water at sunrise!

All,
Sailing (dependant on conditions on the day) is likely to take place in the morning and in the afternoon with a break for a BBQ at lunchtime (when there will be no water in the Haven) heat and bread will be provided just bring your choice of food to grill/charr/crisp as you desire!

Martin H
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 26 April 2010 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Martin H

Current forcast for Sunday by Wind Guru

Could make for an interesting Sunrise sail

Boardskillz joe
Full Time Beach Bum

Posted: 26 April 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Boardskillz joe