home | forum | events | news | gallery | weather | locations

There are 397 News Items in 40 pages and you are on page number 11

DBay Jam Session - 19 Jan 06 - Gavin
I was very sceptical about today ever happening 'cause when I left home after letting Mr Freeman persuade me to, there was nothing happening in my windy tree. However arriving at the boatramp, I was gobsmacked to be greeted by white caps. Andy, Bob, Brian, Tdog and Boydy arrived in due course. The SW wind filled into a nice F5 and a poss bottom F6 for times, although we had to endure some F4 also. I had a good 1.5 hr blast in a positively mild 12C with both my 100l and 80l boards getting an airing, the rest on sub 100l boards also. The sea was quite flat, but some nice little wind blown wavelets were jacking up at times, consequently sail sizes were a little too large for some at times ranging from 4.7 to 6.2 for the big lad.

Andy got his first sail with his mended arm, but don't bother asking him to do your suit back up, his arm's ok for sailing but useless for doing up other peoples wetsuit zips, I had to endure copious amounts of chilly North Sea down my back, until I realised what was going on ..... Oh ! and don't expect Tdog to be able to manage a piss up in a brewery, he can't even remember to put his boom in the car.

An excellent little session .... oooh my (midweek skiver) arms ache.

Andy's comments were ~ "Can you pass me that hood" was all senility Duthie said. Didn't ask me to do his zip up!"

" What a crowd we are. TDOG had to help me derig as arm was getting very stiff post sailing. Surely my aches can be no worse than he has from day to day!

"Gavins toast must have been dropping butter side down for a while not to belive me when I said it was windy. Anyway after todays session he must feel like it dropped before he put the butter on and he had a little jam to spread on too."

Doomsday @ Rhosy - 13 Jan 06 - John C
After a long absence from the water I finaly made time for a day trip to Rosneiger. Arived to find 40mph winds and a huge swell rolling into the bay. Sail choice was easy, my new 3.3m was sleeved up on a 4m mast and I expected to adjust the head strap to make it fit. Unfortunately although adjustable it would only rig on a 3.7m mast!

I riged the 4m sail, made it out through the shore break after several failed attempts. Foolishly tried a jump while manicaly overpowered and paid for it with a good winding after being slammed into the water.

Took a break to recover and some comfort in that even the locals were getting hammered at times on 3.3m sails. Latter managed to borrow a smaller mast to rig my 3.3m. This proved much more managable but the main panel split as I wiped out after my first run!

Those on the water were reporting the wind had eased so I had another go with my 4m sail. Still well overpowered but manged to hold it together for a couple of hours getting some nice air on the way out, blistering runs back in and even made a couple of gybes in between swims in the shore break. Highlight of the day was watching a shop sponsored guy execute a perfect mast high back loop overhead as a I swam in.

D Bay - Sunday 15 January 2021 - Steve Carragher
7 blokes & 2 lasses made it to the beach. 2 got wet. D-bay North end Southerly, which was cross shore initially but turned increasing onshore as the day progressed. Matt & I sailed, rigging 5,5m and 7.2m a top 85l(ish) and 106l. The latter was more approptiate most of the time. I'll keep it brief as I will be accused of gloating otherwise. With enough sail rigged it was a great session today, with not enough, I imagine it was less than ideal. Initially there were some nice waves as the tide pushed in, allowing for some long backside rides and the odd frontside turn. If powered up on the way out there were some vertical ramps to hit but more often than not it was a bit of a slog out. Unfortunately Matt was simply underpowered.
Andy, Brian, Steve, Tony and another bloke thought about it but decided against it. In summary, I've probably had better sessions, but I have definately had worse.

Obi Blyth Kanobe - 13 Jan 2021 -

Steve Boyd

Blyth friday 1pm : 8 degrees, southerly cross shore 4.5m(for brian dey) and 5.3m on the jp(for supermen like myself) rigged up and thought "i need something smaller" then as we were about to go on the water the wind died. seeing brian dey waddling and losing ground downwind did nothing for enthusiam. waited for 1 hour and then i decided to give it a go just after bob left with 5.3m on my 94litre F2. Surprise the wind filled in in the clearer sky and got some nice gybes on the outside swell and got some nice rides on some good set waves that were coming in. Brian decided to rejoin the me on the water just as the wind started to die. Today was about luck and timing and it must have been my turn as brian got the waterstarting and waddling- this is first time this has ever happened- it is usually the other way round- brian gets all the waves and i go swimming or cant get off the beach!. There was a very easy shore break with some good ridaeable waves today, and yet again the wind did not play ball.-atleast not for some ~  Steve

Andy Freeman ~ It was indeed quite a poor day. met up at 13:00 and had a flap of Brians' sail. Arm did not feel too good, pretty painful if the truth be known, combined with a few bumps and watching Brian go off downwind broke my will and I poked off home. its now blowing its socks off and still 8.5 degrees !!!! ~ Andy.

Beadnell Monkeys – 11 Jan 2021 - Gavin

The new year 2006 monkey boys today were SteveC, Carl, Tdog and myself. Conditions were not classic but the wall to wall sunshine made up for cool temps (7C) and erratic wind. Six + metres were rigged initially for some brief wallowing only to be quickly dumped for 5’s when the wind kicked in. Steve and I had the best of it with a good two hour session, and both of us getting a good few runs in on our 80 litre floats. The F5 did not mature and eventually died away as Alistair arrived, no change there then !! 

Fri 23 Dec: D-Bay - Ross Ketteridge
Gavin would have called it a soul session. It certainly refuelled mine today.

I started the day sitting at my desk at work but by 9am I had decided to trade the day for an extra day of working over the holiday break, based on the facts that (a) over the next few days the forecast was for little wind and (b) it was actually windy and mild, there and then, and I was not going to pass up the opportunity. Provided, that is, that I could find an accomplice.

I don’t blame Andy for deciding against it as the likelihood of a decent session, from the viewpoint we had at 9.30am, was slim to say the least. The forecast was for the F4 SW to tail off by midday, turning westerly at the same time. Not promising.

However, the act of rigging up and attempting to sail in the face of extremely doubtful conditions is the special talent of only one man. Steve Carragher.

So despite the fact that, as I drove to the beach at 10.30am, I was fairly convinced it would be an aborted mission, I went with Steve’s optimism and arrived at 11am at what was basically a windless beach. I knew that the whitecaps I had seen on the drive up to D-Bay were too good to be true. Or had they even been a figment of my imagination?

Undaunted, and since I had already sacrificed a day in the office and one of my Christmas holiday days in the process, I took to the water with Steve at about 11.30. It was a far from unpleasant prospect as, despite the lack of wind, it was sunny, not a cloud in the sky, the sea was as flat as a pancake and the temperature was a balmy 11 degrees.

And then an amazing thing happened. The wind kicked in. Or more accurately, it sort of quietly built up and we found ourselves planing towards the horizon fully powered up on our 7m sails and floaty boards. Beyond the light wind on the inside, the wind-line oscillated between perhaps 100m and 500m from the shore, and beyond this, on the outside, the breeze was strong and steady and made for some great, and at times overpowered, blasting. The low tide helped to reduce the light wind area for most of the session, so we spent the majority of our time planing at full speed.

Rather disconcertingly, the direction veered at times from WSW to W and back again. It was cross off at best but at times became dead offshore. This, at one point, caused me to end up about half a mile north from where I had launched, taking me from the boat ramp launch point right to the extreme north end of the bay. At one point I was sailing directly towards Coquet Island! The result: the longest walk of shame ever!

Steve was, by his own admission, “doing an Adrian” more often than was really wise, having got carried away by the desire to stay in the windy zone on the outside. I was quite alarmed during one half hour period to see him a mile offshore, a tiny spec on the horizon, blasting backwards and forwards in the dead offshore wind, making little upwind progress. Don’t try this at home, kids. I kept a close watch on him, the sea was flat and the visibility excellent, but it was scary to watch to be honest.

The GPS was out with us too and I was surprised at the ease with which fairly high speeds were achievable with little feeling of travelling very quickly. Flat water, you see. I’m only talking about 27mph, so no records were broken. However, Steve did record his first measured speed, at 26.9mph.

The whitecaps came and went throughout the day, but the supply of steady wind lasted until 3pm by which time my soul tank was full. Martin H arrived at this stage but by then the sun was almost touching the horizon and the shore was a long walk away, so he decided to stay dry.

For we lucky two, a nice pre-Christmas present.

Sun 11 Dec - Beadnell - Ross Ketteridge
After a long drive, our reward was a decent two hours of flat water blasting in 12 degrees and sunshine. Not a bad result after a month of not sailing.

Boydy, Peter and I arrived at D-Bay at 10.30am to find whitecaps to the horizon but a gusty wind on the inside that was too westerly to make it realistically sailable on the high tide that was but an hour away.

So off we went to Beadnell and, with Ray and Dave R, hit the water before midday. My 6.2 turned out to be a poor choice initially, rendering me way overpowered, especially in my somewhat weakened, tender state following the previous night’s party at Ketteridge Towers. Of course on my return to the water with 5.5m plugged into my 94, the wind strength subsided somewhat but provided ample power in the middle of the bay even if it was a bit of a job to get there through the weaker and fluky wind on the inside.

It was in this zone that Steve found only frustration, as every time he slogged through it, the need to bear off left him almost at the end of the jetty by the time he’d got t o the wind line, and in a poor position as far as safety was concerned – had he got into the wind zone he’d have had trouble to make headway upwind on his 6.2. As a result he never really sailed today, and went home disappointed.

Peter was likewise afflicted by a lack of power in his 5.8 but spent the time usefully on the inside, practicing his getting-going technique on his new sinker.

Ray had a good day, being well powered on his 6.4.

Dave had the best session of the lot, though, sailing his Screamer 105, with a very powerful 5.5m cammed V6, to a new personal best of 31mph, according to his GPS. Well done Dave. Andy, watch out.

In the big chop I faired less well on maximum speed but had a pleasant blasting session, going as far into the bay as I dared in the gradually dropping wind strength. By 2.30 it was all over, but by then my mind was satisfied and my body had had enough.

Sat 10 Dec - D-Bay Boat Ramp - Steve Carragher
Short blast at the boatramp was enjoyed by Martin H, Gavin and myself. An even shorter blast was had by Brian. As I sit here at 2.30pm, the wind has returned, perhaps we should have stuck it out? Gavin, Martin and I met at 10, I'm glad we did as the best of the wind was from 10-12. I rigged a 7.2 (the new 5.8!), Gavin was on 7.5 and Martin 8.5. About right for about 20mins then it picked up to 5m weather for about an hour. By this time we had some spectators, Brian, Boydy and Alistair. They watched us plane at remarkable speeds, my imaginary GPS was reading a steady 40knots, and tail walking/ windward rail lifting was a frequent occurrance. By the time the others had hit the beach, the wind disappeared. Brian had two planing runs but alas Alistair + Steve were most unfortunate and didn't even get their feet wet. All in all, a brief but pleasant session for some of us.

Steve Boyd addendum:
5m weather? in some gusts perhaps (more like 5.8 on the carragher scale!) but not for an hour.it may have been ok-ish for me on 6.2 but when your still hanging on to 7.2m( !?! ) it can't be that windy, it is a physical impossibility.

Addendum by Martin H:
Steve, I didn't go out with my biggest sail but opted for a modest 6.8, which felt overpowered in the gusts when the wind shadow near the shore filled in. I doff my cap to the Wind Monkey whose arms must be a little longer from hanging onto that 7.2 before the Wind Jonah's arrived on the beach

Friday 11 November - Dbay BW - SSSHHHH! - Gavin, Brian & Steve
A powerful workout for body and soul, but ..... a bit of a gust fest !

However 3 new pieces of kit were used in anger,a new 80lwave board, a new 4m C45 mast and new Dr X 4.1 sail, all proved very worthy purchases.

The early birds, Adrian and I got the best of it with the wind getting more ballisticaly gusty as the day went on. Still nice and mild at 14C.

~ Gavin.

I did say SHHHH!!!!!, but you couldn't resist it could you?

I arrived to see Gavin and Adrian on 4m sails well powered up, so chose the 3.7, walked to the beach, yep the wind had dropped, but it was soon to pick up again, but proving exceptionally gusty, not in small increments either....sort of 5.5m for a couple of minutes then 3.2m...I'm sure you get the drift. Anyway the gusts got closer together and I ended up sailing on my own in the lulls.....everyone else taking a walk back from the boat ramp. In all I can say I had one good jump, one jump to swim and one really good dtl wave ride. Then Stevie arrived, bringing with him the rain and the end of the wind.

There will be a few stories to tell about injured hands? Boards being blown around on the end of masts attacking hands. Remarkably mine isn't sore, and only has two minor scratches, but the whole hand is swollen and even bruising on the palm side of my fingers......this old age thing is creeping up far to quickly.

~ Brian.

Double doh!

arrived to a Southerly howling- 4.2m rigged, rained heavily, wind dropped and started to veer- underpowered, gusty wind- dropped. hung around, packed in 1 hour later. sky cleared, wind started to come back SW 5.3m?- no, 4.7m?- no,4.2m?- no, 5.3m?all over the place and another rain cloud-Doh! Doh! Doh! Doh! chucked the gear in the car and went home after another epic session NOT!

Still smiling! honest.......................

How was it for me? I cannot write those words!

~ Boydy

Sat 12 Nov - Derwent Reservoir - Steve Boyd
I was working saturday morning till 12.00 and thought the wind would have dropped off by then.

It picked up at 11.00 but by the time i could get to beadnell i may have missed the best of it.

I had the kit with me and went to derwent as it was closer at hand, and arrived about 1pm . I arrived to see sails between 5.0m and 5.8m being used and hedged my bets on 5.3m. it worked out perfectly and the wind was excellent only being underpowered about 10% of the time and nicely to overpowered the rest.

A good little blast which ended at about 2.30pm as the wind started to ease with the clouds moving in. A pleasant autumnal session.

Page:  << Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  Next >>

Powered by Web Wiz Site News version 3.06
Copyright ©2001-2002 Web Wiz Guide