home | forum | events | news | gallery | weather | locations

There are 397 News Items in 40 pages and you are on page number 39

Classic Druridge - Thursday 5th June - Gavin Duthie
Classic Druridge - Thursday 5th June 2002 ~ GD

From 4.00pm Tony C, Gavin and Martin H managed to organise themselves into participating in a classic blast at Hadston on a rising tide, SW 20C F4/5 and wonderful wonderful sunshine. The water was reasonably flat and some scary locked in blasting was achievable on the inside with some nice little jumping ramps on the outside. Perfect gybing conditions close to the shore made it entertaining, with Tony C and I competing to either outstuff each other or pull the perfect gybe around the hapless head of a fellow sailor in the water. Fantastic blast considering the start of the week was so windless.

More Windless Frustration 31st May/1st June - Ross Ketteridge
I'm posting this report purely for the record, and given that there was no decent sailing going on (unless someone would like to report some that I missed), I will keep it very short.

Both Saturday and Sunday had promised at least a sea breeze given the high temperatures and the fact that the wind, what there was of it (F1 or 2 at best), had some east in it, giving it the possibility of being accelerated by the warm land (or so we thought).

Saturday saw myself, Gavin, Peter, Richard and Andy attempt to sail at the beach near Amble just opposite Coquet Island. It was a beautiful day, the waves were lovely and clean and there was big swell on the outside. Perfect, if there had been any wind. We all packed in after a rather frustrating attempt to sail in no wind followed by a longish wait to "see if it fills in". Which it didn't.
Sunday, deciding not to repeat Saturday's frustrations, I spent the afternoon playing on a surfboard in some very nice waves on Tynemouth Longsands, with Andy and Barnesy. We noted that there was a kitesurfer (a very good one, actually) but were relieved to see that he had a colossally sized kite up, so we weren't missing anything, in other words.

Wind, please come back, we haven't seen you for three weeks.

Renesse Holland Trip Easter - Ross Ketteridge
The report is too big to post here so CLICK HERE to see the Renesse Report page.

Friday at Hadston - Peter Amos
Fri 23 May. A phone call from Richard to the office to the effect that it was really windy and loads of people were going to Hadston persuaded me to pack in early so that we got to the beach just a little behind Carl at about 6.00pm to find Andy, Gavin, Martin and Paul B sailing on 5.00m's but at the end of a session. THe wind appeared to be dropping off then picked up so after much head scratching we rigged 5.5 - 6.5 although after a short rain storm when the wind really got up it died off so lots of wobbling about was had until 7.30 when we also gave up. Not an entirely satisfactory evening sail but by all accounts the guys in the afternoon had a much better time of it.

Thursday Wobble at Hadston - Tony Champion
THu 22 May. Steve C 'phoned at 1.30 claiming possible 6.5m weather on the beach. Seemed possible when we met at 2pm but wind was up and (mainly) down so put up the big flags 7.4 for me 8.5 for Steve and staggered down to the almost exposed kelp line. Planed a bit, more for Steve with his extra meter of monofilm, uphauled more often than water started, cursed a lot, found some pot lines, cursed some more, packed up at about 5.30, carried kit back up the beach, went home to find wind had got up, more cursing.

Good Wind Comes to Those Who Wait - Hadston - Ross Ketteridge
Sunday 18 May. The small group who did not make it to Ullswater were treated to half a day of frustration, but as the title suggests, they were rewarded for their persistence in the subsequent half.

Despite rock-solid forecasts from all sources, despite a nicely building wind at the coast during the morning, and despite the gradual squeezing of the isobars on the animated XC weather map over preceding hours, Druridge Bay appeared to be in some sort of wind vacuum (yet again). Between 10am and about 2pm our perseverance was severely tested, as it seemed that the promised wind just would not materialise.

Within this four hour period, the sky brought brilliant sunshine between banks of thick cloud, some white, some grey and some black. The latter brought nasty squalls of very heavy rain, and, at one point, hailstones (see later). With the leading and trailing edge of each passing cloud bank, the wind either dropped off completely or blew hard but gustily for a few minutes. The average wind strength in-between was insufficient for planing on our 7.0 to 7.5m rigs, so it was a period of standing in the water for ages in beach start mode. During one of the extra heavy rain spells, Gavin, Ally and myself sheltered by sitting at the water's edge under my sail, as the tide was so far out and the rain so heavy that it was a reasonable option, notwithstanding how ridiculous it may have looked.

In the meantime the sea displayed a similar identity crisis. The shore break varied from fairly small rollers to great big dumping waves that broke over your head during beach start attempts. Which would have been fine had there been enough wind to get through it, as it was blowing in a perfect (SW) cross shore direction. On the outside the swell remained fairly constant, but mixed in with this was with some sharp chop, for the first few hours. This made the intermittent blasts that we had, at this stage, quite tricky. Many of them ended in that windsurfing hell situation where the wind drops, you fall in, unable to hook in time, and then lie in the water for ten minutes to wait for a gust, since uphauling is futile and endlessly frustrating due to the big swell. A few minutes later, the edge of the next black cloud hit us with a huge squall of hailstones and full F4 wind. Very exciting, and slightly bizarre it was, too, planing fully powered back to shore on the faces of big waves, the whole sea a mist of hail and spray, your face stinging and your eyes barely able to open enough to see a thing!

Gavin, Barnesy, Ally, Peter and Richard then retired for lunch and afterwards were surprised that Gavin Mr Optimistic Duthie was absolutely right in his assertion that the wind was bound to kick in eventually. And kick in it did, allowing a good hour or two of well-powered blasting across the roller-coaster sea. The spring tide was by now very high, so when we found our big sails just too powerful in the gradually increasing breeze, it was a nice short walk back to the cars.

Jeff W and new guy Seb also had a sail, although Seb's was short-lived as he was introduced to unfriendly shorebreak conditions for the first time. Steve S arrived late too and had a great blast on his 6.6, probably at times wishing it was a metre smaller, evidenced by a now whitecap-covered seascape. On reflection we all wished we'd turned up late too, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Ullswater Weekend - No Rain Next Time Please - Ian Reinewerf
17/18 May. The over optomistic club members who turned up, all hoping the weather forcast was wildly inaccurate were.
Dave Dobson, Terry Dobson, Mike Tyler, Tony & Jenny Lobley, Martin Dillon and Suzanne, Ian Rienewerf, Lisa Rienewerf, Anton, Nikki, and young Alexander. The sailing was reasonably good with the wind strength varied as the showers came through. Comfortable at times for blasting with the big flags up, and OK for the others to practice with the small rigs. The wind was mainly westerly so the comfort of being blown back to the shore was reassuring if anyone had problems. I took the opportunity to get some practice on my turns, although volunteering to lie in the water on purpose to perfect the water starts did not appeal at all.
The N.E.W.S. event saw Dave Dobson win the second race by a sizable margin on his Mistral Equipe, reporting that he would have an advantage over the others on Formula Starboards if the wind didn`t pick up too much.
Mike packed the van and headed off home as planned. Nikki, Alex and Anton made a good choice and did the same. Everyone else headed for a B&B;, even Martin who had pitched the tent but decided if the rain wasn`t going to ease off, the bacon, sausage and egg option in the morning was the way to go. Me and Lisa roughed it out at the campsite, keeping up the club`s tradition of walking to the pub and back, falling over and narrowly missing walking into the lake in the dark.
Sunday, no excuses needed. Only Dave was committed to sail and well done that man, respect is due. Although the wind had picked up, because it was due to the previous 12 hours none stop rain, it had damped our resolve a little to even consider climbing into a cold damp wetsuit. Time to head home and reflect on a what the more sensible of you had missed. Basically a typical Lake District weekend of weather, the sailing and the beer made up for it for me, so overall I think we all had a really good club event. Roll on the next one, the tent should be dry by then.

Addenedum by Tony Lobley
Although we had a late start ( unusual this, particularly for Terry D. ) and after a refreshing nap - cocooned from the driving rain in our cars, Dave was joined by Terry & myself.
The rain cleared, and the wind, although not steady, enabled some good 7 - 7.5 m short board blasting across the lake. As usual, with the wind driving up from Howtown, the wind picked up at the far side, making for the occasional hairy moment. Good practice for gybing on the Powerglide. After the pm NEWS races, Dave joined in the fun and we had an enjoyable afternoon, finishing around 4 pm.

Yet again it proves that despite the unpredictability of the Ullswater weather it can still come up with the goods.

Good Blast - Paul Barnes
Barnsey's Birthday Blast - Friday 16th May
Gavin and I met at 1300 at Hadston. The sea was a mass of onshore much and chop so we opted for a move round the corner to Amble in the hope of more cross shore winds. On arrival the sea state appeared somewhat benign, with a moderate shorebreak and some small chop. We both rigged 6.5s and with Gavin on his 100L F2 and me on my 140L JP we took to the sea. I planned consistently and at first Gavin seemed to wallow a little until we reached a little was offshore. To our surprise the waves on the outside were huge rollers, at least three quarters mast high, with wind blown chop all over the faces. After gybing we both rode in on the waves. It was actually really technical sailing due to the chop and the size of the waves but we both enjoyed some awesome backside riding, dropping down the faces to an almost unbelievable speed.
The session ended after about two hours when I tried to jump off one of the waves and made a bit of a mess of the landing (largely due to being scared sh*tless) and dinged my board slightly. With hindsight it was probably a bit daft to jump a 140L board off big waves but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
We both left the beach totally knackered even though it was such a short session. I hope I get more birthdays like that one.

Good Blast - Gavin Duthie
Three Venues, Four Cracks of Thunder, One Hail Shower and Five P**sed off Blokes - Tuesday 13th May
Barnsey, John C, Ally, Steve Simpson and me all wasted the best part of an afternoon visiting three venues, getting p**ssing wet and sitting gently steaming in a van, and all for nothing today. Forecasts were all SNAFU. We came, we saw, we were conquered
ED Well it was the 13th and having personally been up at 5.00am to get the 6.55am flight to Birmingham and not returning home until 9.00pm after a gruelling meeting lasting 8 solid hours think yourselves lucky Guys!!!.

Good Blast - Ross Ketteridge
Classic Beadnell - Sunday 11th May
Sorry to use a cliché, but it was classic Beadnell; everyone who knows said so. Actually, to be accurate, it was classic only after 1.30pm, at which point the sun came out, raising its previously excellent status to its exalted one.
Other factors contributing to this were a mild, steady F4 breeze, blowing in a perfect cross shore (SW) direction, allowing a safe passage straight out and back through the rock-free channel that was being revealed by the falling tide. The sea state was flattish on the inside developing into nice even chop and some roller coaster swell on the outside.
Enjoying some fine blasting were Dennis, Meike, Gavin, Terry, Tony C, Tony L, Steve S, Carl, John C and Reiner.
Dennis and Meike had been there since 10.30 am. I met Dennis when I arrived at 12.15 pm and realised how good the conditions were just by assessing his extreme smile.
Drag racing was the order of the day. Some well-fought battles commenced at sometimes unfeasibly high speeds. Perhaps the best organised of these was between myself on Carve 121 and Gavin on F2 Thommen slalom board. I think we called it a draw after a kilometre reach out, a gybe, and a blast back in. Some of the sustained gusts, like the one that hit Gavin and I as we returned to the beach, combined with the fairly flat water and a healthy dose of competitiveness, produced some truly frightening speeds on somewhat overpowered (mainly 7m) sails.
Several other childish competitive windsurfing pastimes were practiced, repeated and repeated again. Like all the best jokes it never ceases to amaze me that I still find so much pleasure and hilarity in gybing round a fallen comrade. I should point out that the purveyors of this cruel, humiliating treatment were on the receiving end as much as the other way round. We really must grow up and be more adult about this.
Steve did a good job of getting to grips with the lumpy stuff, and Carl was a whisker from getting into the back straps, sailing with his foot on top, but not in. Carl, as the actress said to the bishop, please insert it next time, you'll find it so much more pleasurable and you'll have a much longer ride.
Reiner was back on the water after saving up enough petrol money after buying all the RNLI boys beer a few weeks ago. He was also sporting a new, very streamlined haircut, reminiscent of the one that Bjorn Dunkerbeck wore for the 1999 PWA slalom events, presumably to intimidate his competitors. Apparently Trudi had got the new clippers out and had forgotten to put the guard on, so he ended up with a No.1 stripe on his head that needed to be evened out. Anyway, it certainly seemed to make him go a little faster, but unlike in the case of Bjorn, nobody was scared of the skinhead Reiner.
Short lunch breaks were taken to maximise everyone's time on the water. You just couldn't pull people away from it; it seemed that we were all on some peculiar mission to see if we could get so tired that we would have to get someone to carry our gear back over the dunes, but sadly no-one was available when needed, even for Tony C, who tried the tired old man trick, unsuccessfully. As the tide was out, it was a long gear-walk with tired bodies for all.
t was one of those days where everybody had a great time, so the post sailing crack was excellent until people started to head off around 5 pm.

Page:  << Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39 40  Next >>

Powered by Web Wiz Site News version 3.06
Copyright ©2001-2002 Web Wiz Guide